Tuesday 3 January 2017

Ornate Tableware Sculpted in Gold and Silver Filigree by Wiebke Maurer

Artist Wiebke Maurer is drawn to objects found in traditional place settings like spoons, bowls, saucers, and tea cups, but her interpretation of these pieces leaves function behind, resulting in delicate sculptures that fuse the past and present. Working primarily with gold and silver the pieces seem almost impossibly delicate, reduced to the most decorative aspects found in silverware design.

“I’m fascinated by historical European works of silver, gold and porcelain,” says Maurer. “I explore traditional ways to design objects, not to stick to tradition but because I use tradition as my starting point for my creative strategies. I’m not concerned about the restoration of the broken object: I want to deconstruct it, to reach the heart of its integrity and reinvent it, both formally and functionally.”

You can see more of Mauer’s work on Taste Contemporary Craft and at Flow Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment